Jan 9, 2007

Crime doesn’t pay! Or does it?


My first experience of living abroad was in Crete with my husband, (before we were married), about 12 years ago. I worked for a Timeshare company but it didn’t agree with me and I didn’t agree with it. It was a bizarre lifestyle working with people who were generally either completely mad or emotionally scarred.

And I didn’t like the Kretins much, sorry I meant Cretans. I know I shouldn’t generalise but nearly everyone I came across was either underhanded or not genuine. Of course at first they are, but then you realise they’re just after your money like the local café owner who charged a ridiculous amount extra to put a squirt of cream on a hot chocolate that he offered to give……the overpriced taxi driver who watched as a not very strong female struggled to put cases in the boot and only offered to help at an extortionate charge ….. the rude shop assistants who assumed you didn’t speak Greek & spoke between themselves about you (did they get a shock!).

To sum it all up we decided to leave for Turkey, which we’d visited regularly on holidays, cost of living was a hell of a lot cheaper, where people smiled and every day seemed like an adventure!

However, the night before we left, having handed in my notice and having left on good terms with my boss I found out the office had been robbed of £3,000! My idiot of a boss kept leaving his money in a drawer that everyone knew about. Anyway guess who was arrested by several-armed Greek policeman, for theft, when she boarded the boat for Turkey! I wasn’t a happy bunny at all!

Did I do the crime?
Leave me a comment and tell me if you think I did!

No comments: